Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2011

The Best Gift of All


While having my lunch in the office today, I came across this story about a boy who didn't want a bible from his dad. It is a very touching story about a loving father and the son who is missing out on a blessing from God.
A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted.
As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car. 
Finally, on the morning of his graduation, his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautiful wrapped gift box. 
Curious, but somewhat disappointed, the young man opened the box and found a lovely, leather-bound Bible, with the young man's name embossed in gold. Angrily, he raised his voice to his father and said, "With all your money you give me a Bible?" He then stormed out of the house, leaving the Bible.
Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and a wonderful family, but realizing his father was very old, he thought perhaps he should go to see him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make the arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.
When he arrived at his father's house, sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. His father had carefully underlined a verse,
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
-Matthew 7:7-11

As he was reading, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words... "PAID IN FULL". 

How many times do we miss God's blessing because they are not packaged as we expected? I trust you enjoyed reading this short story. Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for... 
This got me thinking of how I dread calling home last night.  Just last week, I called home to wish Mum Happy Birthday but instead we had a heated conversation. After long tiring day at work, the last thing I would want was to listen to her nagging voice again. But I knew she was expecting my call, praying she will be more understanding and supportive, the phone started ringing ... I really did not want to upset her again. We had a short talk and her voice was different this time, I can tell she had a lot of questions but she let it slip away and accepted that I have made up my mind. I was speechless when I  found out she respected my decision.
Isn’t it funny how parents are so concern of us? How much care they have for us? 
Sometimes I feel they worry too much but they never give up on us.
But until I have my own children, I will never understand why they never agree with everything I do.

Mum, you had never attended any of my graduation, but you paid for my education. Although you never bought me a fancy car, but I am proud that I afford to buy my own car. You sent me to Sunday school when I was a little kid and gave me my first Bible, so that today I can be praying for you to accept Christ.

Lesson learned: 
We can't judge the book by it's cover. Before we act or react on something we should figure it out first before showing disrespectful behaviour. Respect is vital.

Always think about your actions and notice what is in front of you before everything slips out of your hands and falls straight into the fire. (try to avoid regretting making that decision later)

Every action has it's consequences, and every consequences has it's complications. Choose your words wisely, you can't take them back.



"Before you act, listen, before you react, think, before you spend, earn, before you criticize, wait, before you pray, forgive, before you quit, try" ~ Ernest Hemingway

And not forgetting that the Best Gift of All - The Bible.