Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Pages

Thursday 1 December 2011

Looking Back on 2011








"When you grow up you tend to get told the world is the way it is and your life is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into the walls too much. Try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money.


That's a very limited life. Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.


Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again."


- Steve Jobs -


 
1. Do what you love, and do it often.

If you don’t like something, change it.
If you don’t like your job, quit.
If you don’t have enough time, stop watching TV.
If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you love.

2. When you eat, appreciate every last bite.



3. Life is about the people you meet, and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating.

4. Open your mind, arms, and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences.

5. Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them.

6. Life is short. Live your dream, and wear your passion.

7. Travel often; Getting lost will help you find yourself. 
Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

8. Life is all about choices, Good or Bad; Right or Wrong; Your destiny will unfold according to the choices you make.

9. Life is simple so stop over analyzing.

10. Life is life. Sometime we spend it trying to please others, while other times we spend it just cause we feel we must. However, there is only one true purpose in life, and that is that we must live life for ourselves. For the moment we live it for others is the moment we cease being individuals and start conforming to the boredom and idiocy of society. So, when someone ask “How shall I live my life?” look no further for an answer then by asking them what they want to accomplish in their lifetime.

Finally next week I will be attending the Awards & Certificate Conferring Ceremony after spending almost the whole 2010 preparing for it. It has been such a long tiring process, somehow I am not excited to go on stage to receive it anymore.

However my highlight of 2011 would be meeting David Gotts, founder of International China Concern, he is an awesome man with great ambitions, at a very young age of 18, he went to China, he saw children were abandoned because they were disabled, he wanted to bring love, hope and opportunity to them.

I started the year with a very simple resolution, to find things to challenge myself. I wanted to change spiritually, mentally and physically. First step was I moved back closer to the city, joined the gym and found a local church. I took a short vacation; travelled to the States and came back fully recharged.

Mid 2011, I explored my career option overseas but decided to start my own practise called Sturdey Designs. I was very lucky that I had a few small residential projects and manage to handle it on the side. With the extra income from this commission, I saw the opportunity as a volunteer with my air flights, accommodation, food and visa fully funded. I started Sturdey blog to document My Story, My Feelings, My Dreams while waiting for Sturdey Designs website to be ready.

ICC accepted my application and I received tremendous support, my directors allowed me to be away from work for almost 6 full weeks. (Two years in a row I am blessed with two months of annual leave) I am also glad that Bridge provided outreach training and the connect group had weekly prayer support.

I still recall organising a team called Footprints, few friends generously sponsored me to finish the 10km walk-a-thon in Sept. Once again thank you.

By Oct/Nov, F4Team or Four Friends was formed, as a team we wanted to explain to our friends and family that beyond us going to China, they can also choose to contribute, 100% of the donations will go directly towards purchasing items (gifts) for special children in the welfare centre. (similar to Operation Christmas Child concept just without the shoebox) We realised a lot of people were interested and curious to know more, SanMenXia2012 blog  was created to enable everyone to follow our progress and received updates.


It is now Dec; we did not expect to go beyond our Fund Raising target. There will be a lot of product research, shopping and packing to be done over the next few weeks. I am sure this would be an easy task for the gals in the team.

During the training, I still recall the Pastors reminding me to be sensitive to the local culture and pray to serve in God most honour way. I trust He will change and utilise my full potential for His work in China.

In the mist of everything, I know that I have to start preparing my heart and rest my body in order to go as a humble servant in the team.With so many exciting Farewells, Birthdays, Xmas (BBQ, drinks, lunches and dinners) keeping me very busy, this is the only time to catch up with everyone before I head off on my journey. Not forgetting all the project datelines to meet before closing the office. It is a challenging time, I have limited time to recover from my injury. My discipline and prayer are crucial for healing/strength to cease the pain and release from fear / all worries.

Anyhow by practicing the above ten rules which is basically a summary of all the blogs I had written over the past few months, I reckon My Life has been pretty good so far. Bring it on 2012 J